|Memories are the Essence of Civilization|
Back To: TEXAS - IMAGES - The FARM - GIFT STORE- MUSEUM- - HOME
NOTE: A Click of your Mouse on most of the pictures will enlarge them for better viewing
|WELCOME to FREDERICKSBURG, Texas- 1/27/02|
|GUN CAP FACTORY
In the Civil War, at this site, E Krauskopf, Bunsmith, and Adolph Lungkwitch, silversmith, made gun caps. Inventing machinery, they rolled copper thin and cut it to cap-size pieces. Saltpeter and quicksilver went into the caps to detonate rifle and pistol ammunition. Saltpeter came from nearby bat caves. Quicksilver and copper had to be brought through neutral Mexico or the coastal blockade.
Rifles, cannon, gunpowder and pistols were made at Austin, Houston, Bastrop, Waxahachie, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Burnet, Lancaster, Rusk, and Tyler.
|OLD KAMMLAH HOUSE|
|Four front rooms with outside stair to attic.
Built 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah. Smokehouse and rooms at rear
added 1875. Old World technique of wall plaster over woven twig supports used
Henry Kammlah II and wife Amalia, opened a general store in front room in 1870. This was continued by Henry III until 1924.
House purchased 1956 and restored as museum by Gillespie County Historical Society.
|MECKEL - HANUS BUILDING|
|Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855 - 1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story (Ca 1860) stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr J J Hanus (1898 - 1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic Convent from 1949 through 1979.|
|LITTLE ROCK HOUSE|
|Constructed shortly after Civil War on town lot grant
of German emigration company. Bought in 1868 by Heinrich Ochs, pioneer school
teacher. Owned by family 61 years.
Has been home and store with floor plan virtually unchanged since erection.
|FLORENT J MAIER
Erected A D 1916
J E Bridgman, Architect
A C BONN BUILDING
A convincing fact that Nages Brothers have the best granite for building and monumental work.
|FRANK V VAN DER STUCKEN|
|The American composer and musical director was born on these premises October 19, 1898.|
|OLD GILLESPIE COUNTY COURTHOUSE|
|Erected 1881 -1882 in term of County Judge
William Wahrmund and Commissioners J Dechert, F Kneese, J Larson, and J P Mosel.
Architect was Alfred Giles.
Native limestone structure is distinctive in fine balance and symmetry. Second courthouse built in county. Used until 1939.
Restoration and conversion to library. Community hall is gift of Mr and Mrs Eugene McDermott.
|THE SCHANDUA BUILDING|
|Erected in 1897 of hand-hewn limestone, this structure was the home of John (died 1900) and Bertha (Klein) Schandua (died 1943). They lived upstairs with their children and John's hardware store was downstairs. For a time, the Masonic Lodge met upstairs in exchange for some construction costs. After John died, his brother Henry married Bertha, enlarged the building, and continued the hardware business on the first floor. Hardware businesses were operated here until 1972.|
Front Builders, St Louis, MO,
Pat. October 4, 1887
|KIEHNE - HERRMANN HOME|
|German-born Frederick Kiehne (1811 - 1898), a blacksmith and Gillespie County Commissioner, built this structure. In 1850, it was the first two-story home in Fredericksburg. Although many older residences had sleeping lofts. The hand-cut limestone, adobe bricks, and native timbers were materials often used y pioneer builders. The house was enlarged about the 1860's and again in the 1930's, when Walter Foerster was owner. It was restored in 1973 - 1974 by Maria and Ronald Herrmann.|
WEYRICH - ARHELGER HOUSE
|FLEET ADMIRAL CHESTER W NIMITZ, USN|
|Typical early Fredericksburg home built 1866 by
Carl Basse. Property of the Henke family since 1873. Heinrich Henke,
early settler, Confederate freighter had butcher counter on front porch; meat processing
was done in back yard; there the horses that pulled meat vending cart were stabled.
Shop later built on foundation of stone walls surrounding lot.
He and his wife Dorothea (Nee Weirich) added the long dining room and kitchen with sloped roof to accommodate their twelve children. Many of their furnishings are preserved by Udo Henke, a descendant.
In small room to rear of front bedroom on February 24, 1885. Their daughter, Anna Heinke Nimitz, gave birth to Chester William Nimitz, destined to command the greatest naval armada in history.
A 1905 honor graduate of the U S Naval Academy, Nimitz was Chief of Staff to Commander Atlantic Submarine Fleet, WWI. Installed first Naval ROTC unit in U S Navy, 1926. Selected Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet after attack on Pearl Harbor. Appointed Fleet Admiral, U S Navy, 1944. As representative of the U S, he signed Japanese surrender documents on his flagship, USS Missouri, September 2, 1945 in Tokyo Bay. Admiral Nimitz died in San Francisco on February 20. 1966.
|KLOTH - LUDWIG HOME
This limestone building was constructed about 1870 when the property was owned by John Adams Alberthal. It was designed with a commercial area on the front and a two-story residential section in the back. Christian Kloth purchased the home in 1878 and following his death in 1904, it was inherited by his daughters Anna Marie (Kloth) Ludwig (died 1930), and Caroline Kloth (died 1940). Used for various shops, it remained in the Ludwig family until 1966.
HERB GARDEN of FREDERICKSBURG
We follow a sign a few blocks off the main street of Fredericksburg that points to the Herb Garden, and discover an enchanted escape from the tourist rampage of the big city. An old-time homestead has been created with lazy paths meandering through scenic gardens, a shop to talk about and take home some healing herbs and books on how to make them grow, and a lip-smacking restaurant to still a hunger developed from our explorations. Oh... by the way... try one of their famous "hot rocks" massages. Cheri can testify to their soothing and relaxing effect on the body.
Hail... hail... the Gang's all here...
Paul, Cheri, Joel, and Karen
|PREVIOUS PAGE||BEGINNING PAGE||STATE HOME PAGE|
Back To: IMAGES - The FARM - GIFT STORE - MUSEUM - HOME
Travel Site Map